Ariela J. Gross
Expert in Race, slavery, civil rights law
John B. & Alice R. Sharp Professor of Law & History
USC Gould School of Law
- History of race and the law in the U.S.
- History of gender and the law in the U.S.
- Intersections of race and gender in the law
- History of slavery in the U.S.
- History of U.S. law
- History of African Americans and the law
- Labor law and employment discrimination
- Slavery insurance policies
- Critical race theory
- Author of Becoming Free, Becoming Black: Race, Freedom, and Law in Cuba, Louisiana, and Virginia (2020); What Blood Won’t Tell: A History of Race on Trial in America (2008); and Double Character: Slavery and Mastery in the Antebellum Southern Courtroom (2000).
- Chair of Concerned Faculty of USC