Ariela J. Gross
Expert in Race, slavery, civil rights law
John B. & Alice R. Sharp Professor of Law & History
- History of race and the law in the U.S.
- History of gender and the law in the U.S.
- Intersections of race and gender in the law
- History of slavery in the U.S.
- History of U.S. law
- History of African Americans and the law
- Labor law and employment discrimination
- Slavery insurance policies
- Critical race theory
- Author of Litigating Whiteness: Trials of Racial Determination in the 19th-Century South (1998) and Double Character: Slavery
- Mastery in the Antebellum Southern Courtroom (2000)
- Chair of Concerned Faculty of USC