Expert in building information and construction management, especially related to information technology and sustainable practices
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
USC Viterbi School of Engineering
- building information and construction management
- information management and technology
- infrastructure and urbanization
- sustainable practices
- integrated practice management
- Becerik-Gerber has expertise in advanced applications of information technology in the field of architecture, engineering and construction. She holds degrees in both Civil and Environmental Engineering and Architectural Engineering. She earned B.S. and M.S. degrees from Istanbul Technical University in 1999 and 2001, respectively; her M.S. degree from UC Berkeley in 2002; and her Ph.D. degree from Harvard University in 2006.
Becerik-Gerber’s research explores how building and infrastructure project information can be captured early in the process and can be carried and used throughout a project’s life-cycle — from concept to implementation, to operation and management, and ultimately to the grave. Her research agenda addresses the need for developing real-time collaboration between all disciplines, as well as how design, engineering, scheduling, estimating and environmental analysis tools can be linked to geometric models and how these models become single sources for project documentation, procurement, management, operation and obsolescence. Her experience covers wide range of disciplines in the AEC industry and solutions, including BIM, reality capture, construction automation, environmental analysis, design and project management, and project controls systems.
- Dr Burcin Becerik: Interactive Environments