Expert in media criticism, political journalism and speaking to issues of diversity in newsrooms.
Professor of Professional Practice, Director of the Annenberg Media Center
USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism
- Political journalism
- National politics
- Television punditry
- Partisan media
- Community journalism
- Newsroom diversity
- Digital media
- Media hiring practices
- Newsroom management
- Newsroom leadership
- Media criticism
- Spent 20 years in journalism as a reporter and editor and working in television. Covered local, state and federal government, along with four presidential campaigns and the White House.
- Was the youngest member of the Los Angeles Times masthead.
- Worked to bring digital innovation to traditional media outlets including the LA Times and PBS NewsHour.
- Worked on both sides of partisan media, covering politics for both the Washington Times and Talking Points Memo and appearing on both MSNBC and Fox News.
- Has appeared on television and radio, including NPR, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News and HBO’s Real Time With Bill Maher.
- Served as Vice President of the Washington Press Club Foundation which works to advance women and minorities in newsrooms.
- Was a fellow at Harvard’s Kennedy School Institute of Politics.